Photo Courtesy Chino Valley Fire Chino Valley firefighters work to contain a fire that destroyed a doublewide mobile home on Gopher Drive Sunday morning. Three occupants of the home, a couple and a child, escaped safely thanks to working smoke detectors.
Heidi Dahms-Foster Former Editorial Manager
A Chino Valley couple and their child escaped a house fire Sunday morning without injury, but the blaze destroyed the family's doublewide mobile home.
Chino Valley Fire Chief Scott Freitag said crews responded to the fire on Gopher Drive at about 7:50 a.m. One of the home's occupants was in the shower and another still in bed when they heard their smoke detectors sounding. They safely evacuated the home and called for help.
Freitag said firefighters found the home fully involved in flames when they arrived. Investigators later found the fire started from a heat lamp under the home's deck, where three baby potbellied pigs were housed.
"They had taken all the safety precautions, so we're not sure what ignited, but something was too close," Freitag said. "Unfortunately, they lost the three pigs."
Working smoke detectors likely alerted the home's occupants in time for them to get out safely, Freitag said.
"When a fire starts outside the home overnight or in the early morning while people are sleeping, it can get a hold on the structure and move quickly. Smoke detectors are of supreme importance so people have plenty of time to get out," he said.
Chino Valley Fire recommends that families have a working smoke detector in every room of the house, and that they practice exit drills.
"People know their homes in the everyday environment, but how will they react in time of stress, when it's dark, hot and there is no visibility? The only way to find out is to practice for it," he said.
The Red Cross and TIP volunteers assisted the family after the fire.